Monday, January 6, 2020

Sundays are for rest, and some other things.

I decided not to write yesterday. It was a nice, slow Sunday and I was tired last night. The good kind of tired, like ready to snuggle down under the covers and read a good book and drift off to sleep early... Not completely drained and ready to crawl under the covers and sob until I pass out from sheer exhaustion.

I am going to make Sundays optional for writing, sometimes you need a day off. I often take Sundays off from laundry too, which is why there was a mountain of it this morning.

We went to church yesterday and I was glad for it. Husband and I agreed a while back that we would go to church every Sunday that we were in town (instead of haphazardly showing up with only 1/3 of our family) and there was no illness to keep us home. We skipped last Sunday and I felt a little weird about it. The whole day seemed a little off, but that could have been all the irritable people living here. We have one child who always fights us on going to church and sometimes it seems like such a hassle getting everyone out the door, but I was so glad we went. It seemed to me to complete the day.

So, tomorrow is the 7th day of 2020! I am happy to report that I am keeping up with my goals so far. In fact, spending time reading the Bible has become something I really look forward to. I haven't managed to wake myself up early yet, but I sit down usually in the middle of the day and read and journal some things that stand out to me. There were a lot today.

But I feel compelled to write a bit of "poetry" inspired by one... So, here goes, you’re welcome and I’m sorry:

Poop smeared all over the walls,
The bed, the floor,
The clothes, the curtains.
Count it all Joy.
(It'll be funny someday.)

A fist fight outside the bathroom door
When I just sat down to
Scroll Facebook 
Watch a few Insta-stories
Read parenting emails
Go.

Count it all Joy.

Simultaneous breakfast requests
When I've already fixed the food
And I'm just trying get some coffee in me.
Happy screeching mixed with
Tantruming toddler
Mixed with a furious tween.

Count it all Joy.

Five little(ish) people all crowded around,
Snuggling in,
Slapping each other's heads out of the way
So they can all see the book.
Two little boys holding hands,
Two big kids skipping down the road,
Six bikes zooming past me at the park,
Hugs, and I love yous,
And "I'm ready to pierce my ears."

Long days, short years.

Joy.

"My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;
Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience."
-James 1:2




No comments:

Post a Comment