Monday, February 17, 2020

More than conquerors.

When I got to the end of writing my post last night, I was a little dumbfounded. A little bit overcome with emotion and gratitude. I didn't know whether to laugh or to cry or to jump up and down and shout.

I cannot always see the ways in which God has his hands on my life. In fact, I would say that I can hardly ever see it, rather I am operating mostly on blind faith and hope. But as I was writing last night, and my brain was sifting and working through my thoughts, I caught a glimpse. There was the briefest, fleeting kind of clarity. I could see how God had covered me. I, who am less than the least of all the saints.

I don't think that being covered by God means that he shields us from pain or difficulty or from terrible things. I think he gives us what we need to survive the pain and terrible things, so that we are not torn down completely, but can rise up and become something greater than we were.

"Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." -Romans 8:35-39

Sometimes I do feel like I am being killed all the day long.

But God is my refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble. So. Not today, Satan.

No comments:

Post a Comment