Thursday, July 7, 2016

Husbands and Wives

Husband and I have been married for almost 9 years. It's been a happy marriage, a good journey so far. He is truly my best friend. But there is one thing that we have always struggled with, one thing that always causes rifts and strife and puts distance between us. Sometimes it seems only a small hill, sometimes it's an insurmountable mountain.

I stand firmly on my side, unwilling to budge, always in the right, waiting for what I "deserve." He has always been so much more willing to bend and give than I have, but still, we can't seem to find a common ground.

Yesterday, my eyes were opened and I finally could glimpse the way to meet Husband where he is. I could just see the answer, or at least where to find it. It's somewhere in love and grace, and demanding less for myself. Love him as he is, where he is, as he needs and deserves. Give him grace when he makes a mistake, when he is not perfect. Bend, Sarah. Give just a little more than you think you should, or a lot more. And he will respond in kind.

It seems an obvious answer. But it isn't always. And it certainly won't be easy. It's hard to change 30 years of stubbornness, of always needing to be right.

No comments:

Post a Comment